I just came back from an amazing holiday in Bangkok and Phuket, still with the appetite for Thai food, so I whipped up these Thai sweetcorn fritters which is my absolute favourite Thai appetizer. This recipe makes around 12-16 fritters and can be made in less than an hour.
- 1 large egg
- 55g plain flour
- 2 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 400g canned sweetcorn (drained)
- 4 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- vegetable oil
- Thai sweet chilli sauce (for serving)
- Put the egg, flour, red curry paste, coconut milk and half the sweetcorn in a food processor and process until a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Stir the spring onions into the batter with the remaining sweetcorn, coriander and basil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and drop in tablespoonfuls of the batter and shallow fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn a golden brown colour.
- Serve the fritters hot with Thai sweet chilli sauce.