This is a recipe from my mum, she always used to fry me up a batch when I was a child whenever she had some overripe bananas. It is absolutely delicious served fresh, piping hot and crispy. A teaspoon of dessicated coconut can also be added to the batter if you like.
Ingredients (makes around 10 fritters):
- 4tbsp water
- 4tbsp self-raising flour
- 1tbsp castor sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large ripe banana
- vegetable oil
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat some oil in a pot and put spoonfuls of the mixture in the oil.
- Deep fry the fritters until they turn brown.
- Drain the excess oil on a kitchen towel on a plate and then serve hot.